EVERYONE knows a dab of clear nail polish can stop a hole in a pair of tights from running – but it has other household uses, too. Here are five:
1. A dab on the centre of a button will prevent the cotton unravelling and the button coming loose.
2. A coat of clear polish applied around the bottom of shaving foam cans and other metal containers will prevent rust rings appearing on bathroom and kitchen surfaces.
3. A thin layer on the inside of cheap jewellery stop it marking your skin.
4. Covering splinters in wooden furniture with polish will stop them snagging clothes.
5. You can even make pet tags waterproof with a coat of the stuff.